Is rabies vaccination required after being scratched by a dog?
Should receive the complete course
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
The exposure your son had is considered as low risk exposure.
The usual doses of Rabies vaccination are given on Day 0, 3, 7, 14 , 21 or 28.
Since he is receiving the 4 doses, i would say, why not to give him the complete course.
So, my suggestion would be to discuss again with your doctor to add up one shot on day 14 of exposure.
Yes, we do offer 3 vaccine course on day 0, 3, and 7 , if we have a constant watch over the dog, and the dog is pretty well and survived after 10th day of exposure. In such cases, we can dismiss the further doses for vaccination.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Alcohol after rabies vaccine
- Rabies vaccine for dogs and lactation
- After effects of rabies vaccine
- Should i take rabies vaccination for the scratching by dog
- Smoke after rabie vaccine
- After taking rabies vaccine a dog bites again
- Numbness after rabies vaccine
- Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination
- Is repeat of anti rabies vaccination required for cat scratch
- Diet after rabies vaccination