Can rabies be contracted through accidental skin contact with a dead animal's brain matter?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Last dumb rabies question- if any brain or nervous material got on my shoe would it be Viable or infectous after 4 days? Just a little worried that i tracked something in my hotel room @ 68 degrees
- now i am heading home i wanted to make sure if some little bit of brain got in the floor or my bags the virus would be dead.
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, it is not infectious.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your data , I think that this brain material it is not infectious after 4 days outside the body.
You should know that according the recommandations rabies virus becomes noninfectious when it dries out and when it is exposed to sunlight.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: Can rabies be contracted through accidental skin contact with a dead animal's brain matter? 1 hour later
So no worries- kids and family will be safe

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

Based on your history, I think you shouldn't worry.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.