Is progesterone level of 38 a cause for concern?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 20 Dec 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I had a day 21 progesterone which has shown a level of 38. I am trying to conceive
My cycles vary between 27 and 30 days is this a good indication that I do ovulate?
Is there any chances I could be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal value of progesterone

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Day 21 progesterone of more than 30 nmol per litre is completely normal and is indicative that the ovulation has occurred.
Pregnancy cannot be determined by progesterone levels.
You need to wait for the periods, of delayed, then do a urine pregnancy test to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 24 minutes later
I am really concerned that I may not be able to conceive.

I have had unprotected sex for 15 years but sex has not been regular like maybe only once a month. I have never been pregnant.

Me and my husband now want to try for a baby but I am 41. My GP has done some blood tests and sperm count and all is normal.

I have a mental block that I don't ovulate. I have used Clearblue fertility monitor for 2 months and have only ever had low and high days with no peak days.

My GP says forget all test strips and monitors and just have regular sex. I am overweight with a current BMI of 45. I am working on getting this down.

My cycles are 27 days to 31 days.

Do you think I can conceive naturally and how do I know I ovulate please?

How many times a week do you recommend intercourse and why does fertility monitor show no peak is it likely I don't ovulate or should I forget the monitor?

You don't see I am menopausal?

Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 2 minutes later
FSH 6.9 u/l
LH 2.0 u/l
oestradiol 179 pmol/l
Day 21 progesterone 38
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follicular monitoring should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
You should have regular intercourse 3-4 times a week.
Fertility strips are not always accurate.
If you have a doubt regarding ovulation, then you should get a follicular monitoring done from day 9 of the periods by ultrasound to assess the ovulation.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 23 minutes later
Do you think I can conceive naturally though and the day 21 progesterone is a good indicator for ovulating x
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Various tests required

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Successful conception depends upon ovulation, condition of the uterus, and patency of the fallopian tubes.
So, you should get follicular monitoring done and tubal patency checked by ultrasound or hysterosalpingography.
Day 21 progesterone is not an accurate marker of ovulation.
Dr Deepti Verma