Is pregnancy possible while on Depo-Provera?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I was on the Depo shot for 5 years and have been off of it for about 5 months, I have still not had a menstrual cycle, am I still able to get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you need to observe an alternative contraceptive method now.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

When a woman is on Depo; it causes a change in natural production of hormones inside the body. It is usually due to the exogenous hormonal product (depo) that causes a negative feedback effect on the hormonal array of the body's own productions.

When off of Depo, it takes many months for the normal menstrual cycles to kick back in. WHY???
It is because, previously you were on exogenous hormones and they had kept the body's own hormone production suppressed for so long time. But body was working on the exogenous hormones normally. But when off of Depo, body is on no hormones, neither exogenous, nor endogenous. So the system will now take some months to kick back in with a full blown effects.

And regardless of the start of the menstrual cycles, female starts ovulation process normally in about 3-4months. So she can get pregnant after this time.

Yes, definitely you can conceive. You need to observe some alternative method of contraception from now onwards if you don't want unwanted pregnancy.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T