Is pregnancy possible through withdrawal method?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello,

I have a Plan B/pregnancy scare question.

On September 19 (estimated 8 days prior to her ovulation) a woman and I had unprotected sex twice. We used the withdrawal method and I urinated between the incidents so as to clear some of the sperm out. On September 21 (<48 hours later), she took Plan B. Five or so hours after taking Plan B, she vomited. I checked online and because it was outside the 2 hour window, this should be okay. About a week after taking Plan B, she experienced a day or so of spotting and cramps.

My concern is that these symptoms are not consistent with Plan B, mostly because they are so long after the fact and that they were relatively light to what I’ve read online. Also, I’d like to double check that the vomiting isn’t an issue.

Any input you can offer is appreciated. I realize that poor decisions were made and I will be more careful moving forward.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your health concern and anxiety related to the same.
No there is no risk of pregnancy at all because -
- she took plan B within stipulated time
- vomiting was after 5 hours which is also outside 3 hour window
- ovulation was scheduled around 8 days after sexual activity
So all in all there is no risk of pregnancy.
The spotting she had was withdrawal bleeding after the pill intake which has high dose progesterone.
So you can relax as there is nothing to worry now.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 8 hours later
Thank you for your response. She mentioned the pains and drowsiness persisted for a few days, not sure about the spotting. I'm assuming this isn't uncommon for Plan B?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is very common after plan B intake

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear, drowsiness and nausea along with lower abdominal pain like the one in periods along with slight spotting is very common after plan B intake.
In my opinion there is no risk of pregnancy and this nothing to worry.
Thank you. My last question is, is heavier bleeding common when taken early in the cycle? Or any time for that matter?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not common

Detailed Answer:
In case periods are delayed because of plan B intake then there can be heavy bleeding but usually in case periods come before expected date or right on the date of expected periods then there is practically increase in amount of blood loss in periods.
In case you have any questions about it in future you can contact me directly on health care magic.