Is pregnancy possible despite taking Postpone-72?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi... I had unprotected sex with my bf on the 6th day of my last period and took pospone 72 with two hrs.. Now my periods are delayed by 5 days.. There was no withdrawal needing also.. Plz help .. Am very tensed
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine pregnancy test advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
This delay is most probably due to postpone tablet only but still do a urine pregnancy test and see the result.
In case negative then nothing to worry and just wait for your periods.
All the best
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 10 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.... Few questions..Is there a chance of pregnancy in safe period also.. Can a home pregnancy test be taken.. If there is no withdrawal bleeding dies that mean am pregnant... How long does the period get delayed approx.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Negligible chance of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Yes home pregnancy test can be taken, just buy a test kit from market and do it yourself.
Yes you were definitely in safe period at that time but at times ovulation occurs some days prior and sperms usually stay fertile for 3-5 days in vagina and thus though rare but there is a possibility of pregnancy.
Absence of withdrawl is not at all related to possibility of pregnancy and rather is only related to the days of cycle in which tablet was taken.
All in all you have very less chance of pregnancy but still better to do test to stay relieved from anxiety
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 days later
I took the test.. It came back negative.. Such a relief... I just want to know how long will my periods be delayed and when should I take the test again for confirmation.. It almost a week delay... I have very regular periods...
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for a week more

Detailed Answer:
Just wait for another week and no need to repeat the test as it would have cone positive by now for sure in case that act had resulted in pregnancy.
You will get your periods in coming week most likely.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 7 days later
Thank you so much doctor.. It's two weeks now .. No periods yet.. .. Took another test on Thursday .. negative... Having slight cramping and back pain and lot of white discharge.. Is it normal... Should I go to gyno directly..will they know I had the pill.. Am getting tensed and really stressed out..
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take progesterone for withdrawal of menses

Detailed Answer:
I understand your anxiety and I'm sorry for the delay in response as I was struck in some emergency surgery.
Don't panic and just take tablet meftal spas for pain.
I think your periods are on their way but still in case you want take withdrawal by taking progesterone then visit your gynecologist for prescription.
Iny opinion give her the history of postpone 72 but in case you want to hide then she will not get to know about the pill intake.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 5 days later
Hi doctor.. I went to a gynic and she prescribed me ferium xt for ten days and if still don't get my periods she asked to take deviry 10mg for 5days. What's the correct use of both the tablets... And its almost a week since I took feriyum... Still not got my periods... shall I start on the deviry
Brief Answer:
Can start deviry

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear you can try deviry and take for full 5 days without a miss and on stopping deviry you will get periods in 3-5 days but in case you start spotting whole taking deviry then stop the pills instantly.
All the best.