Is persistent fat percentage in body despite exercising a symptom of hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my hormone profile, I feel resembles more with 10 year older person than me. I had checked my fat percentage, which is indeed on higher side although I dont look obess but my subcutaneous fat percentage is on higher side (obess to be specific). I have tried at many instances to lose weight and even had lost more than 8 KGs in 4 months Gym program, but my fat percentage dint move much (I might have lost more water and muscle and little bit of fat) ...Kindly suggest if hormonal imbalance could be the reason for all this, what Ideals I should follow to stay behind the age
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to have a look at your reports.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX hi! welcome to HCM!
you are not obese but fat % is high. this is what i could get from your query.
i would like to know a little more before i answer you.
what is your height
what is your weight
what is Waist hip ratio
what hormonal imbalance are you talking? can i see the reports?
can i have your fat % report as well?
was it dexa scan of BFA?
what is your diet and exercise plan?
regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

I am obese as per my "BFA" that I had done at metropolis a month back unfortunately I dont have reports with me but as I remember total fat % was 34%
trunk region 22%; hands and legs ~34-35%.
my height is 5.11 but my weight is 91 KG. My waist to hip ratio is above 0.90 (just checked)
Now, My point is, that data is obviously telling me that I am in obese condition. but as per my experience, as I lost weight in my last 4 months program where all above dimensions came in control. That effect did not last for long and I came back to the same condition inspite of not making drastic changes in my diet (which was maintained during that program)
I am smelling a hormonal imbalance, I am not sure, but I feel I am older than my age I just want to know that how hormones improves vitality and longevity and can I take advantage of it
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 days later
Brief Answer:
need to look for your hormonal profile!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX hi! sorry for delayed response. I was out of office because of long weekend.
your weight is definitely more for your height. it should have been 70kg, so almost 20 kg overweight.
now any weight loss program is a life long program. you have to maintain diet and exercise plan for life.
hormones which are mainly responsible for weight gain are thyroid and cortisol. So you must check for TSH, FT4, Serum Cortisol, and if we plan a hormonal check up, let us make it complete. also get your growth hormone, LH, FSH and Testosterone tested. Please check your 25 (OH) D, and B12 as well.
All these tests need to be done in a fasting state and sample should be given before 9 am.
once you have these tests done , get back to me and we will talk further.