Is persistent cough normal while on treatment for pneumonia with Cipro?
Hello and welcome,
I'm sorry you are dealing with pneumonia. It looks like you are on treatment for the pneumonia if you are on Cipro. I will assume it's working if your fever is getting better. However, the cough can persist until it is all over. It's important to be able to get the infected sputum up but beyond that, the coughing doesn't do you much good.
A couple of suggestions:
Guaifenesin (such as Mucinex) will help thin the mucus so that it is easier to get up. To work well though, you have to drink a lot of water too as it draws the water to the secretions, making your cough more productive if there is stuff to cough up.
A cough medicine with codeine will help shut down the excessive coughing. Codeine is a very effective cough suppressant. Call your doctor or whomever is on call for him/her and tell them the situation and ask if they would consider Robitussin AC (the AC means "with codeine") or Cheritussin AC. These are a combination of guiafenessin and codeine.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Persistent cough mucus for 4 months treatment
- Persistent cough after cold treatment
- Persistent cough while on metoprolol
- Suggest treatment for severe persistent cough
- Suggest treatment for persistent cough despite taking antibiotics
- Treatment and cure for persistant cough
- Persistent cough with heart palpitations
- Persistent coughing in cold weather
- Pain in the calf and persistent cough
- Suggest treatment for persistent cough