Is peripheral neuropathy reversible?
Diabetic nerve pain
Sorry to learn about your medical problem.
Whether or not your nerve pain is reversible depends on many factors. For example, when a person, especially newly diagnosed with diabetes, is running high sugars in the 200-300 plus range, (s)he may experience neuropathy-type pain temporarily till the diabetes is controlled better. Once the glucoses improve it is possible that there may be considerable improvement in the symptoms.
Moreover, one needs to be certain if the neuropathy is due to diabetes and not from other potential causes such as vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
These are just two examples of the complex evaluation of peripheral neuropathy. You would be best served by seeing a neurologist and an endocrinologist in person who will perform a thorough physical examination and likely order appropriate blood/other tests to give you an accurate answer to your question
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Moderate axonal peripheral neuropathy
- Peripheral neuropathy lumbago
- Peripheral neuropathy and menstruation
- Peripheral neuropathy discharge planning
- Peripheral neuropathy after a vasectomy
- Peripheral neuropathy frontotemporal dementia
- Postpartum peripheral neuropathy
- Peripheral neuropathy and sneezing
- Peripheral neuropathy psychosomatic
- Peripheral neuropathy of the gums