Is onset of schizophrenia without prior history possible in the mid 30s?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Can schizophrenia onset in mid 30s w no prior history of mental illness?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing us again for your health related questions.

I want to mention some epidemiological facts.

Schizophrenia onset is very common between age of 16 to 30.
In female onset is slightly later from 18 to 30.
Almost 20-25% of patients have onset in in 30s.
Approximately 3 to 10 percent of patients with schizophrenia present with disease onset after age 40.
About 90 percent of patients in treatment for schizophrenia are between 15 and 55 years old.

In conclusion schizophrenia can onset in mid 30s without prior history of mental illness.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 12 hours later
What are some symptoms
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptoms are mentioned below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Schizophrenia involves a range of problems with thinking (cognitive), behavior or emotions. Signs and symptoms may vary, but they reflect an impaired ability to function. Broadly symptoms divided in to 5 categories.
Symptoms may include:

Delusions: These are false beliefs that are not based in reality. For example, you're being harmed or harassed; certain gestures or comments are directed at you; you have exceptional ability or fame; another person is in love with you; a major catastrophe is about to occur; or your body is not functioning properly. Delusions occur in as many as 4 out of 5 people with schizophrenia.

Hallucinations: These usually involve seeing or hearing things that don't exist. Yet for the person with schizophrenia, they have the full force and impact of a normal experience. Hallucinations can be in any of the senses, but hearing voices is the most common hallucination.

Disorganized thinking (speech): Disorganized thinking is inferred from disorganized speech. Effective communication can be impaired, and answers to questions may be partially or completely unrelated. Rarely, speech may include putting together meaningless words that can't be understood, sometimes known as word salad.

Extremely disorganized or abnormal motor behavior: This may show in a number of ways, ranging from childlike silliness to unpredictable agitation. Behavior is not focused on a goal, which makes it hard to perform tasks. Abnormal motor behavior can include resistance to instructions, inappropriate and bizarre posture, a complete lack of response, or useless and excessive movement.

Negative symptoms: This refers to reduced ability or lack of ability to function normally. For example, the person appears to lack emotion, such as not making eye contact, not changing facial expressions, speaking without inflection or monotone, or not adding hand or head movements that normally provide the emotional emphasis in speech. Also, the person may have a reduced ability to plan or carry out activities, such as decreased talking and neglect of personal hygiene, or have a loss of interest in everyday activities, social withdrawal or a lack of ability to experience pleasure.

Symptoms from 2 out of 5 categories must be present for at least one month for diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your concern.

Feel free to discuss further.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 days later
Can cocaine psychosis cause similar symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
yea cocaine can cause XXXXXXX episode of psychosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Yes cocaine can cause similar symptoms like those of schizophrenia. It can precipitate episode of XXXXXXX psychosis in some patients. However if no past history of schizophrenia or psychotic features, prognosis is much better than schizophrenia.

take care.
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 hours later
How long can cocaine psychotic episode last if usage continues?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it will contiue as long as coaine is used

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

If cocaine stopped and treatment given it may subside within 3 weeks to 3 months likely.
However if cocaine use continues and treatment given we cannot predict that episode will subside or not.But of course some control will be there and it will at least not worsen.

In any case if cocaine use is continued without treatment, psychotic episode may worsen and last long until cocaine stopped and treatment started under medical supervision.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist