Is it safe to have sex with an HIV positive person?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have a relationship with a man who on 24/06/14 was found positive in HIV.

(I mention that he believes that contaminated September 2013, although in February of 2014 found negative in antibody test.)

We used to have sex one or two times per week the last 7 years. The last time we had sex was on 16/06/14. I was always the energetic (top) in anal sex, and I always was the top in oral (i give him my penis). Penetration: I always did anal sex with him using a condom but oral sex without condom. I also always put finger in his ass without any precaution.

I did 2 antibody tests came out negative, one on 24/6/14 and a on 26/6/14. Also the microbiologist told me that on 24/06/14 sent my blood to a laboratory of molecular analysis and the result was negative.

You think I'm okay or should I do something more?

How safe is with the same practices to continue to have contacts with him?

Thanks for your time.

Friendly.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibody test at 6 weeks & 12 weeks or RNA PCR

Detailed Answer:

welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand the concern for HIV after the positive status of your partner.

After analyzing the query with best diligence let me guide you certain important points:

- Stop any type of sexual intercourse with your partner not even protected one and no high risk behavior also (not even fingering the anal area or oral sex).

- You can go for antibody test at 6 weeks and followed by 12 weeks to confirm the exact status. There is no reliability of antibody tests done on 24/6/14 and a on 26/6/14. This is because we consider the antibody test to be reliable at 6 weeks from last exposure and most authentic at 12 weeks form last exposure.

- Else if you do not want to wait till 6 weeks and 12 weeks then can go for RNA PCR at any time from now. This would be the most authentic test at present to guide you best regarding your status.

I hope these inforamtions will help you. I will glad to help you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases.
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 minutes later
Do you believe that my sexual practices with him was safe? Am I in high risk?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anal sex is always considered as high risk

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for your swift follow up.

Anal sex is always considered as high risk behavior as is the most vulnerable type of sexual activity with highest chance of exposure.

Regarding oral sex and fingers in ass are though low risk but not nil risk. So I request you to immediately stop the activities of all kind and get yourself tested properly

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance you can ask me directly at:

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases) .