Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to have sex with an HIV positive person?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
I have a relationship with a man who on 24/06/14 was found positive in HIV.

(I mention that he believes that contaminated September 2013, although in February of 2014 found negative in antibody test.)

We used to have sex one or two times per week the last 7 years. The last time we had sex was on 16/06/14. I was always the energetic (top) in anal sex, and I always was the top in oral (i give him my penis). Penetration: I always did anal sex with him using a condom but oral sex without condom. I also always put finger in his ass without any precaution.

I did 2 antibody tests came out negative, one on 24/6/14 and a on 26/6/14. Also the microbiologist told me that on 24/06/14 sent my blood to a laboratory of molecular analysis and the result was negative.

You think I'm okay or should I do something more?

How safe is with the same practices to continue to have contacts with him?

Thanks for your time.


Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibody test at 6 weeks & 12 weeks or RNA PCR

Detailed Answer:

welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand the concern for HIV after the positive status of your partner.

After analyzing the query with best diligence let me guide you certain important points:

- Stop any type of sexual intercourse with your partner not even protected one and no high risk behavior also (not even fingering the anal area or oral sex).

- You can go for antibody test at 6 weeks and followed by 12 weeks to confirm the exact status. There is no reliability of antibody tests done on 24/6/14 and a on 26/6/14. This is because we consider the antibody test to be reliable at 6 weeks from last exposure and most authentic at 12 weeks form last exposure.

- Else if you do not want to wait till 6 weeks and 12 weeks then can go for RNA PCR at any time from now. This would be the most authentic test at present to guide you best regarding your status.

I hope these inforamtions will help you. I will glad to help you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it safe to have sex with an HIV positive person? 2 minutes later
Do you believe that my sexual practices with him was safe? Am I in high risk?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anal sex is always considered as high risk

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for your swift follow up.

Anal sex is always considered as high risk behavior as is the most vulnerable type of sexual activity with highest chance of exposure.

Regarding oral sex and fingers in ass are though low risk but not nil risk. So I request you to immediately stop the activities of all kind and get yourself tested properly

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance you can ask me directly at:

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases) .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor