Is it safe to have cranial manipulation for Meniere's disease?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am trying to find an Osteopathic Dr that practices cranial manipulation. I have heard this is very helpful for vertigo. I have had 3 Drs tell me I have Meniere's Disease, but can't get any help because my test results do not show enough indicators to confirm Meniere's. I have researched cranial manipulation and thought it might help me. I am looking for a Dr in Wright or XXXXXXX County Missouri. My e-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ECoG test, High dose Betahistine, Meniette, Enttex, ABOT, TTS.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Meniere's disease is diagnosed on the following criteria:
a. Vertigo
b. Fluctuating hearing loss
c. Tinnitus
d. Fullness in the ear
There is usually nausea and vomiting, the hearing usually worsens during an attack and the tinnitus also worsens.

2. Meniere's Disease has an unpredictable course, hence the problem in diagnosing and treating it in many people.

3. ElectroCochlearoGraphy (ECoG) is a confirmatory test for Meniere's Disease. Get it done.

4. Meniere's disease should normally respond to a salt restricted diet, acetazolamide (diamox) and betahistine (Vertin).

5. Latest treatment options include:
a. High dose Vertin (Betahistine)
b. Meniette Device
c. Enttex P-100 Device
d. Alternobaric Oxygen Therapy (ABOT/ HBOT)
e. Transtympanic steroids (gentamicin not recommended)

6. Transcranial manipulation may be attempted, but is unlikely to help. Explore the above treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist