Is it safe to have Metformin for weight loss?

Question
Hi.. is it safe to have metformin for weight loss for a hypothyroid patient(on medication). What dosage should be taken and hor how many days?
Also, is there any other medicine for weight loss?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
management of hypothyroidism. Metformin 500mg-1g

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Metformin can cause weight reduction and also reduce blood sugar levels. It's not primarily indicated for weight reduction but can be used for same purpose especially in patients with insulin resistance like PCOD.

For hypothyroidism correcting the thyroid status will help in reducing weight. So you can continue thyroid hormones and monitor thyroid levels for weight reduction and can take metformin 500mg to 1000mg per day with blood sugar monitoring. The number of days will depend on your response.Your treating doctor will know about this.

Drugs for weight reduction is available but targeting primary cause, diet and exercise will help in maintaining good health and also weight reduction as the specific drugs has its own side effects.

I hope this information helps you and answered your questions. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.