Is it possible that oxidative stress causes permanent effects on facial skin ?

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I am a 25 year old male. I've been on a poor diet nutritionally and calorically, for about 9 months. I've lost bodyfat and thus facial fat and it made my face look very gaunt and dry because I was already underweight. Since then, I've followed my former regular diet and things have been mostly back to normal. I am concerned about this question: Is it possible that I have suffered any permanent effects on my facial skin/organs due to oxidative stress that CANNOT be repaired with time? Or is it unlikely that it caused real DNA mutation from any potential extensive DNA damage? Forgive my exaggeration but that's just to make my point of view clearer. Thank you very much in advance.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query,

Well i can confidently assure you that your malnourishment would have not casue any DNA damge by any chance. Need not worry in that sense.

Yes , oxidatve stress is one which can be expected during dieting due to lack of vitamins which could have damaged the skin lustre and turgor. The changes are not permanent last for few weeks and only with good balanced diet they can be expected to resolve .You can fast the recovery by taking multivitamin supplements specially ones with Vit E and Vit C.

Do consume high protein food now it will help by giving your body a good shape.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Take care , Bye
Follow up: Dr. Puneet Oberoi 7 hours later
Hi Dr,

So basically can any damage be repaired after it has been done or can it be permanent?

For example, one eats a poor diet at 25, and gets back to a 'perfect diet' at 30. Is damage just superficial and recoverable (as in no gene/dna permanent damage)?

Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up ,

Yes , the damage can be reversed .Once the age of active growth (til 21 years ) is crossed there would be no permanent damages expected.In later ages the process which is active and ongoing is the regeneration involving removal of old tissues and renovating with new.

During this process if malnourishment occurs then ,it may affect the incorporation of new tissues and cause temporary damages which are reversible. Reverse occurs when the nutrition is improved and the defective tissues are replaced by new healthy ones.

Wish you Good Health

Dr. Puneet Oberoi