Is it necessary to stop Bethanechol post surgery?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Why would my urologist stop me taking Bethanechol 25 mg for Gastec motility because he is trying to treat my swollen prostate? I am 74 years old and have taken Bethanechol for about ten years. I am now having heart burn late at night. He wants to do surgery (ream me out?) and I want him to treat my swollen prostate with medication first.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bethanecol cannot be used during surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Bethanecol used for improving urinary and gastric motility is helpful when used even before surgery but should not be used while the patient is on the surgical table as it can result in contamination of the surgical table and region.

It is not safe to discontinue Bethanecol immediately and so it has to be 'weaned off', which means it had to be slowly discontinued.

If you do not wish to be operated on straight away you need to speak to your doctor about this. Surgery is only advised to those individuals who have moderate-severe enlargement of the prostate causing obstruction of urine flow, infection, etc; or those patients who do not respond well to medications.

If your doctor has chosen to go ahead with the surgical approach straight away then there is a possibility that your prostate is already quite enlarged. But if it is not and your symptoms are not really serious then you can request your doctor to try the conservative approach (with medications) first.

I hope I have explained medications in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan