• question-icon

Is heart rate of 55-80 bpm a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello!
Recently I started using a heart rate tracker. Right after my period and the following 1 or 2 weeks my heart rate goes between 55-80 bpm. Sometimes I'm wondering if 55 or 58 bmp is not too low. And then in the following one or two weeks ( right before my period) my heart rate at rest goes to over 90 bpm. Usually while sitting it's about 95 bmp, 105-110 during physical activity. Is my heart rate normal and why is it changing so much throughout the month?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that these heart rate changes are quite normal in a healthy and young woman.

They are related to the changes in the sex hormone levels during the menstrual cycle. Let me explain as follows:

You should know that during the first 2 weeks after your periods estrogen levels are higher, while in the 2 other weeks progesteron levels are predominant.

So, there is nothing to worry about!

I don't think that 55 or 58 bpm is a low heart rate for a young woman.

It is quite normal to have such a heart rate in a young woman while resting. You should know that active persons, especially those who perform regular physical activity, tend to have a lower heart rate.

Coming to this point, I do not see anything concerning in your heart rate tracker reports.

So, just relax!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist