Is folic acid supplement good to be taken while consuming alcohol with B-complex?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 1 Aug 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is 800mcg Folic Acid supplement good to take on days when consuming larger amounts of alcohol with a B Complex? Also, is 100mg of Thiamine also a good idea in this situation? Then taking a smaller amount on the days without alcohol?

Alcohol I consume is around 20 units twice a week (total around 40 units). 4-5 days I drink no alcohol at all, all is consumed over 2 days.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
probably not needed

Detailed Answer:

the problem with folic acid and B complex vitamins in alcoholic patients has a lot to do with the reduced amount of food that these patients consume. Excessive amounts of alcohol may also reduce the absorption of vitamin B1 in the intestine and also impede normal B1 metabolism. These patients due to their condition, seek more and more alcohol and do not eat normal food. Individuals who drink (even a lot) on weekends but adhere to a normal diet plan, are not supposed to develop any deficiencies.

So the answer is that you don't have to take any supplements provided you have adopted a healthy diet plan.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
I don't eat much when I drink, maybe a sandwich, as beer has quite a lot of calories when drinking a lot. Would you recommend to supplement with a high dose in that case?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if this is only for the weekend then you probably won't need it

Detailed Answer:
As I've explained earlier, a normal diet plan protects you against deficiencies if you only drink for a couple of days every week but folic acid and vitamin B1 are safe to use anyway and you can use them - if it makes you feel safer...

Kind Regards!