Can steroids cause elevated liver enzyme levels?
Things will take time to settle.
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answer is-
Corticosteroids are hepatotoxic drugs and can cause elevation of liver enzymes however on the other hand they are very potent anti inflammatory drugs and will help to settle inflammation at cellular level.
GGT is an enzyme which is very often elevated in case of hepatic problems.GGT is very specific for liver damage so whenever there is a damage to your liver the levels of GGT would be elevated.GGT is found on the cell membrane of liver so in patient with hepatitis GGT would be elevated as due to severe inflammation of liver cell it would be more permeable to enzymes.
However in his case as he is having severe hepatitis we have to consider pros of steroid therapy over cons.
Steroids are very potent antiinflammatory and are very effective when inflammation is at cellular level.
So after going through the details and current situation to take steroid therapy is the best option.
Just keep a watch on the levels of Liver functions.
Hope i was helpful.
Hello dear patient.
See when patient is having severe liver problem all tests would be deranged like all other enzymes GGT is also an enzyme so i don't feel that you need to worry to much about one particular enzyme.
As inflammation would settle down enzyme levels would return to normal gradually.
So don't panic dear and follow your Gastroenterologist suggestions.
I wish him a fast recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Effects of steroids on liver
- Steroid injections causes elevated liver functions
- Elevated liver enzymes steroid creams
- Steroids for liver failure
- Steroids and the liver
- Epidural steroid injection and liver
- Steroids and fatty liver
- Epidural steroid injections and elevated liver enzymes
- How can steroids cause liver disease
- Elevated liver enzymes causes
- Suggest treatment for abdominal hernia
- What does my biopsy report indicate?
- How can chronic constipation be treated?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis and acid reflux
- What causes severe abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for internal hemorrhoids
- What causes blood in stools while having diverticulitis?
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Suggest treatment for GERD
- Suggest treatment for IBS