Suggest treatment for severe constipation and drowsiness

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 4 May 2017 in Mental Health
Question: On March 20 I felt run down and this led to a bout of constipation. I took a laxative on March 22. It did what is was supposed to do. By Thursday (March 23 I felt normal). I have been a habitual drinker for years (4 most week nights and 8 on weekends). I had wanted to cut back and decided not to drink that Thursday. The next day I felt anxious (evidenced by tightness in my back). I went to my Doctor on March 28. He put me on Zoloft (25 mg for 4 days and then 50 mg thereafter. I experienced the expected drowsiness and reduced appetite but by that Sunday and Monday (April 2 & 3) I felt very anxious and stressed (extreme tightness in my back - was not able to sleep Sunday night). I bought Natrol Stress & Anxiety Monday and the night pill relaxed me so I could sleep Monday. I went to the my Doctor again on April 5. He prescribed Lorazepam (1 mg) and instructed me to take 1 or 2 daily as needed. I have been doing and though it keeps the anxiety in check I continue to have a light pressure in the center of my back. It tends to lessen when I interact with people but I live alone and am isolated in the evenings Using a heating pad helps. During this time period I have drank 16 beers (vs. the normal XXXXXXX & Coke). It has been 7 days since my last drink. I now know that I should not have quit cold turkey but feel if I drink a little it just extend the withdrawal symptom. However, the almost constant light pressure in my back is disconcerting.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will pass

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I tead your query and understand your concerns.

Although it is not advisable to stop cold turkey but it will pass in next few days.

Meantime I request you to start thiamine 100 mg three times a day. I XXXXXXX feel that increasing dose of ativan may help to dome extent.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to contact me.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad