Is excessive sweating a symptom of menopause?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, I am 50 years old, and had a Mirena inserted about 6 months ago, and am also on Progynova 2mg. I am still having terrible trouble with being extremely hot and sweaty most of the time, although the severe sudden night time hot flushes have eased.
Should I consider reducing the Progynova? or could it be somehow reacting against some other medication I am on.
I take Citalopram 20mg per day - and have done so for the last 10 years. I also now take Perindopril 5mg per day for blood pressure, and Chlonidine 100 micrograms per day for racing heart.
Added to the age induced problems of menopause and blood pressure - I am under a sleep specialist to assist with Narcolepsy/Excessive Sleep disorder, and take dexamphetamine 5mg x 10 per day.
Some days I feel ok, while other days I seriously wonder if I am battling something else - fatigue, weariness of doing anything (even things I usually enjoy), frustration, !!
I have had a change of GP 3 times over the last 3 years - due to the Drs moving on from the clinic I attend.
Be glad of any comments
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to menopause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The feeling of hot and sweaty is a part of menopausal symptoms. This can be aggravated by decreased fluid intake and anxiety.

Stopping Progynova will add to the hot flushes. It is not likely to be related to the medicines that you are taking. You can do deep breathing exercises to decrease anxiety. The symptoms will gradually decrease on their own in next few weeks.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer.
You mention that the symptoms will gradually decrease in the next few weeks !! If only - after nearly 5 years of them, and many trials, nothing really is helping.
If stopping Progynova will add to the hot flushes - is it possible to increase the dose of Progynova? Say 3 every 2 day days, or 2 per day?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
increasing progynova is not advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Progynova is a hormonal tablet and increasing the dose at your age is not advisable. it can increase your cancer risk. Persistent feeling of being hot can be related to thyroid hormone disturbances. Getting the levels checked will help. You can also start with methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy