Is ejection fraction of 35 normal when diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doctor,

my mother has a history of Hodghins lymphoma (treated 20 years back) and currently her echo EF is 35.

Right now, she has to undergo "unilateral TLIF" surgery for backpain. please suggest, if we can proceed for surgery with EF (Ejection fraction-35). please advise.
Also, she is diabetic and has thyroid.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
After going through the medical details provided by you of your mother I understand your concern for her health and I would like to tell you that as her heart function is towards the lower side due to which the risk for any type of surgery increases as heart is weak.

I would like to suggest you to personally consult your cardiologist and get one repeat echo done ig the last one was done more than 3 months back.

Surgery can only be done once your cardiologist give a written clearance for the required surgery. And yes the risk will be more than usual.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Recent echo was done before 3 days and EF is 35 in the recent echo.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Then no need to repeat echo

Detailed Answer:
Ok it's fine then. You need to written letter with cardiac clearance for surgery. Yes, risk will be slightly more than compared to individuals with normal heart function.

Any kind of surgery which requires anesthesia is a sort of additional stress to body. But don't worry the surgical team will take care of that. Hopefully, everything will be alright.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T