Is ejection fraction of 15% a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What does 15 percent of your heart working means
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Critically low.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query Dear.

15% Ejection fraction means that heart's pumping is critically low and the patient is at higher risk of sudden cardiac arrest unless Left ventricular assisted device(LVAD) is implanted and a heart transplant is planned.

Its the lowest possible ejection fraction.
So heart transplant is the only way out.

In lay man's language, it means that if your heart is receiving 100 ml of blood then it can just pump only 15% to body. In a normal person, 60-65% blood is pumped to various organs.

Please discuss options of LVAD followed by cardiac transplant with your cardiologist.

Even the presently mentioned treatment does not seem to be appropriate-
Do discuss with him/her to add medications like Trimetazidine 35 mg twice daily, it has good effects on ejection fraction.

Potassium-sparing diuretics like Aldactone should also be added along with ACE inhibitors like Ramipril, all of them works on ejection fraction.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist