Does fluttering sensation from Metronidazole require consultation?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am on metronidazole for giardia and med info said not to use propylene glycol, as if I knew what that was, and I started getting fluttery sensation in throat and down to chest like I had asthma. I brainstormed what it could be and looked into what I might be using with that stuff. I was shocked to see it is a main ingredient in my Zero Alcohol Listerine that I have been using a lot since you can get thrush from the metro. The fluttering came on 30 minutes after taking my ninth 250mg dose of the metro. I saw a combo of that chemical and metro can cause cardiac issues. My fluttering has waxed and waned all day. My doc not in -Labor Day. Do I need ER or can I wait to see her Tuesday. I do not want to have cardiac arrest or whatever ??
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Maam

After going through the medical details provided by you i understand your concern and i would like to tell you that if your fluttering sensation is not persisting for quite some time and if it is not happening quite frequently then you can safely wait till your appointment.

However if at anytime you feel giddy or dizzy along with palpitations then you need to go to ER but make sure to bring somebody along and not to drive that time.

Hope to have been helpful

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 days later
Dr. Partap, I did become dizzy and my BP shot up and the palpitations kept happening so I went to ER. I was diagnosed with having PVC activity because my magnesium was low and my potassium was extremely low. I was first immediately checked and then rechecked hours later for a heart attack and all tests came back negative. I was found to also be very dehydrated so I was given IV solution and a magnesium drip as well as a potassium drip, which took hours. The fluttering stopped and my BP stabilized. I was in the ER for 12 hours. The reason all of this happened was a result of the N&V and the watery diarrhea I had had for 12 days before being diagnosed with giardia and then 3 more days of diarrhea after starting the metro med to treat the giardia infestation. I am feeling better now and finished my metro med and my stool is being retested to see if any parasites remain. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update.

Yes diarrhoea is a very important factor that causes significant loss of electrolytes from the body which can further lead to fatigue palpitations muscle weakness and many other symptoms.

Am relieved to hear that you went to ER and got yourself properly treated. Remember whenever you have diarrhoea don't just take plain water instead use a electrolyte powder solution with it to compensate for your loss.

Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer if you have no more questions.

Wish you good health
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad