Is dark brown stool an indication to internal bleeding in stomach?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor!
I've been passing dark brown loose stools for the last month.
And every time I go to the loo I felt quite flush and exhausted. Just this morning after I went I felt the same thing, but about 1 hour after I felt so dizzy and felt like fainted or something.
Could I have internal bleeding in stomach?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the following data...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Before concluding it is because of internal bleeding, I'd like to have more info:
- apart having loose stool, have you had diarrhea (frequent bowel movements) during last month?
- are you taking any medication or supplement?
- are you also having fever? pain?
- do you suffer of any other disease or condition?
- may I know is there any particular reason (disease) why you take Dandelion root powder?

Having dark brown loose stool might be indicative for frequent bowel movements apart internal bleeding. If this is true, feeling dizzy and fatigued is a sign of dehydration (you are loosing fluids and electrolytes, potassium in particular).

Kindly provide the requested data to assist you further!

Thank you!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Hi doctor

Some answers to your email for diagnosis.

- I am not currently taking any medications or supplements at all.

- I do not have fever today to my knowing. I have occasional pain to stomach area when have too much alcohol or gone past my meals for over 1 hr.

-I suffered severe indigestion and bloating for about 3 years now after having on going diarrhoea for continuously over a month whole overseas.

- I have had extreme severe itching mainly to the lymphs for 2 years now.

I have attended many blood test and skin specialist and getting better with itching by taking dandelion.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Intestinal parasitic infections to be considered..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You are reporting to have on going diarrhea while being overseas. It is normal to get stomach upset or other gastro-intestinal problems when being overseas. The ongoing diarrhea might be a cause to dark brown loose stool.

As your problem has been ongoing for 3 years, and you travel overseas, I advise to run examination of stool for ova/parasites. Commonly, giardia infection is associated with travel diarrhea.

You are also reporting to have occasional stomach pain when hungry (gone past your meals for over 1 hr) and when you consume too much alcohol. Taken all that into account, you should run a self test for fecal occult blood at home/lab to exclude internal bleeding.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana