Is dangerous to expose to lot of radiation during CT scan?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Since April 2013, I have had the following:
1. CT Abdomen Pelvic w & w/o contrast
2. 4 chest Xrays
3. 4 Brain MRI's
4. Asthma test
5. Thoracic Spine MRI w & w/o contrast
6. Lumbar spine MRI
7.Upper Endoscopy

So far what I have been told that these are negative. I still have metallic or blood type taste at the bottom of the thtoat for few hours almost everyday with shortness of breath and when I get up in the night, my sputum sometimes is pinkish red. By the way my sputum has been tested also with some fungal infection. Final sputum result is not back.
I guess my main question is will I be exposing myself to lot of radiation if I go for Chest CT scan and can the scan cause anything really bad?
Thanks, XXXXXX
Weight 132 LBS. Height 5'6"
Forgot to mention another test. I also had Nuclear stress test and echocardiogram last year, which was normal.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should go for CT scan of thorax.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your findings in detail.

You shouldn't worry about radiation hazard during CT scan of thorax.It is necessary for your diagnosis.Many investigations has been done and most of them are radiation free.

Till now radiation related investigations are CT can of abdomen(W/O contrast)and four chest X-ray has been done.Radiation exposure related to these investigations are very less as compared to maximum limit.Now a days,spiral technique is used in CT scan and it scan the body in very less time with less exposure.

CT scan of thorax will not add much radiation exposure and it should be done.Your symptoms are related to pulmonary cause and it should be done.

Cardiac cause may also cause such symptoms but normal ECHO excludes this possibility.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 56 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX is CT of thorax same as CT of chest? I have searched that it can give 700mrem or 300 times more radiation than a chest XRay. In your opinion I should not worry too much about radiation.
Thanks XXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Yes,CT scan of thorax and CT scan of chest are same.
CT scan definitely gives much radiation dose to the patients as compared to chest X-ray,but it is important for diagnosis.
Don't worry about radiation dose,it is far below than the safe limit.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX