• question-icon

Is coronary calcium score of 610 a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 73 year old male with a family history of cardiac issue. I recently had a Calcium Scan and the results were a total score of 610. More alarming was the left anterior descending...which showed 4 lesions and a calcium score of 448. My cholestorol and blood pressure are controlled with meds. I'm scheduling a nuclear stress test...how urgent does this sound?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that your Calcium Scores falls under the category of severe coronary artery calcification which in turn can cause significant reduction in the diameter of the coronary arteries due which the blood supply to the cardiac muscles can be hampered which can cause myocardial ischeamia leading to a heart attack.

Yes there is an urgent need of getting the condition evaluated by a stress test to see how much the blood flow gets reduced during stress due to this calcification. This will decide the further plan of management.

I hope this information will be helpful and will answer your question.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 55 minutes later
Assuming the streets test confirms blockage are stents the normal "fix"?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
If the stress test shows significant ischeamia during peak stress then the narrowing has to be corrected.

Treatment plan or treatment options will completely depend upon the nature of the disease, how diffuse the disease is, at how many sites the disease is critical, and how good the left ventricle function is and that will be explained and discussed with you by your consulting cardiologist after the stress test is over.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist