Is colonoscopy advisable for a person with hiatal hernia?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having spasms in my intestines. I am now taking Linzess. The spasms are easing especially after I have a bm. How long should this take before they go away? If I don't get relief what should I do? I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago & they found nothing except diverticulosis. I have a large hiatal hernia & I find I can only eat small amounts. I was also constipated before I started takin the Linzess. I am scheduled for the hernia to be fixed shortly but that won't fix the spasms. Should I have another colonoscopy if the spasms don't stop?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy can wait, try using mebeverine and laxatives

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

In your case, based on the history you have shared, I would suggest that colonoscopy can wait, if any of the following conditions isn't present, like sudden drop in hemoglobin, weight loss, signs of chronic malabsorption, presence of occult blood in stool or chronic obstruction to stool passage.

You can consult your GP first, who can possibly suggest you to have complete blood count, stool for occult blood, Xray abdomen in upright posture to see for presence of air fluid levels in Xray film. Even for further reassurance he may ask for CEA levels. If there isn't anything alarming in these tests or there is no warning signs which u have mentioned above, colonoscopy can wait at for this moment.

Second issue of pain and cramps not being controlled by linzess or linactolide, as far as that is concerned, let me reassure you that this medicine has two advantages in your case. Both pain killing properties as well as assisting is smooth movement of bowel. If pain is still present despite its usage, you can use miberverine or drotaverine alongwith it, but using agressive pain killers like codogesics etc. should be avoided as they would lead to constipation and further troublesome. Using small dose laxatives like lactulose will also help with smooth movement and less cramps which are otherwise aggravated by constipation. The laxatives should be stopped in case if diarrhoea. Meanwhile if symptoms persist despite all these measures, consult a gastroentrologist.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T