Is cardioversion effective for atrial fibrillation treatment?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had 1 successful cardioversion. However after about 4-6 mos I was back in afib. What is thelikelyhood that I could benefit from another cardioversion?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this afib that you have. I am however happy to know you had a positive experience with cardioversion.

Cardioversion is only indicated when there is an acute emergency resulting from a heart arrhythmia like unstable and very low blood pressures. If you have arrhythmia and the heart variables especially blood pressure is normal, there would be no need for cardioversion. Drugs would rather be preferred to gain longterm control.

In all, you would benefit from cardioversion should you run into acute decompensation caused by cardiac arrhythmia. Otherwise, drugs should be used now to control your afib and not cardioversion.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be.