Is calcification in the left metatarsal bone a cause for concern?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 4 Aug 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Is calcifying in the left metatarsal bad? I broke it over three months ago and now I'm having a lot of pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a normal process of healing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The calcification in the left fifth metatarsal is a normal process of healing. The bone heals by callus formation that calcifies later to give strength to the broken bone. The persistent pain even 3 months after injury can be due to local stiffness. This can decrease after regular hot compress and physiotherapy. Do consult an orthopedician if the pain or swelling increases or the pain is unbearable.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D