Is an upset stomach a symptom of heart attack?
Hello and welcome,
Upset stomach is not usually a symptom of a heart attack. Nausea can be, but would not be a main symptom of a heart attack. Sometimes acid reflux can cause chest pain called "heart burn" and this needs to be distinguished from a heart attack.
But in a young man with definite stomach/GERD symptoms such as belching and stomach pain, this would not be attributable to the heart.
Consider taking non prescription Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day for 2 weeks to see if this makes your symptoms better. You may need to continue it for 6 wks total if you find it helps but does not completely relieve the problem.
For now, avoid alcohol, caffeine, tomatoes, OJ and other acidy foods, mint. Eat smaller amounts at a time so there is less pressure on the lower esophagus for food or acid to come up.
Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Rapid heart beat and upset stomach
- Cloudy urine upset stomach symptom
- Pregnancy symptoms diarrhea upset stomach
- Thirsty hungry upset stomach symptoms
- Upset stomach and headache symptoms
- Racing heart upset stomach foggy
- Heart valve leakage upset stomach
- Heart racing in sleep and upset stomach
- Racing heart dizzy upset stomach
- Heart racing and upset stomach