Is alternating between 2 medicines for pain safe?

Question
My 89 year old mother has fallen and cracked or fractured her pubic bone and pelvis. After a hospital stay of 5 days, she has been transferred to a skilled nursing home facility for re-hab. She is in extreme pain. First Lortab or Norco 5/325 , was used, every 4-6 hours. Providing some pain relief, yet she is having upset stomach, even dry heves. Now Toradol, 5/325 has been ADDED, not in replace of the Lortab. The facility gives her Lortab, if she has break thru pain, which she does, 4-6 hours later she is given Toradol.
Is this a proper way to treat pain?, alternating between the two different pain medicines??
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Pain Management

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is an acceptable practice!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this fall that your other sustained. I wish her a quick recovery from this fracture.

Toradol is not available as 5/325, please check to make sure your got the information right. The practice of giving a pain medication to a client when in severe pains in between regular doses is well recognized and proves very helpful to clients. The main goal with pain management is looking for that drug or combination of drugs in safe proportions, at varied intervals that can control pain adequately. If this controls her pains better, there is no reason to get worried. If it does not work appropriately, the doctor would review and propose a new management plan.

In all, it is a well recognized and used practice.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.