Suggest treatment for guillain barre syndrome

yes thank you. My husband a 43 y.o. male has been hospitalized a second time noe within the last 3 months. the first time they DX him with guillian barre syndrome. they treated with IVIG for 5 consecutive days and then he remained in hospital a total of 9 days until he could walk and then was discharged. this time, s/s started the same as before. N/T in bilateral feet that migrated quickly up to knees and then tohips and then to elbows and wrists. Then intense burning ache in the joints that followed the same progression. MRI show lesions in the brain, none in spinal cord or brain stem. Lumbar puncture showed only elevated proteins (67). they checked for lymes, encephalitis, meningitis.ets... The first time in Novenmber he last all pheripheral reflexes. This time they sre dull only at this point. I am concerned that they are missing something. My husband states the pain is 9/10, and the only meds that help are Neurontin and toradol. Narcotocs and muscle relaxers do not help at all. We questioned CIDP, MS, transverse myelitis, and they have no answers. They havedone another MRI of brain and brain stem/ neck area. We do not know the results yet, and they are questioning whether or not to do another lumbar puncture... I have requested west nile test and tey just ignore me...I have been an RN for 24 years as well.
Wed, 3 Oct 2018

I can understand your mental status as per the narration of current symptoms of your husband. But the fact is that the neurology is still beyond the scope of advanced medical science, the way in which it presents are taking many more coming decades to be fully evaluated.

Rather than exposing him to repeated MRI radiation, I suggest to focus more on physiotherapy and supportive care.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel,
General Surgeon