Is alcohol consumption safe while on Ramipril?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take 5mg ramipril in the mornings, would I be able to have couple beers or some shots In the evening
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol doesnt affect Ramipril

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query

As you are taking Ramipril in the morning and would like drink alcohol in the night,alcohol doesn't affect Ramipril.

Although alcohol doesn't directly affect the medicine itself,drinking alcohol can Increase the blood pressure and
Lowering effect of Ramipril,
which can increase dizziness and may increase the risk of fainting.

If you find Ramipril makes you feel dizzy it's best to avoid drinking alcohol.

Also remember that alcohol can increase blood pressure and make heart failure worse, so its important to minimize or avoid the amount of alcohol that you drink.

If you have any doubt you are welcome.

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj