Is a SED rate of 29 significant?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Wed, 21 May 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is a SED rate of 29 significant? Normal range for this lab says 0-20 mm/hr. My CRP is also above normal at 1mg/dL (lab normal 0.0 to 0.8).

My Sjogrens ABS is still pending.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is significant but not showing any severity

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for posting on HCM,

First of all, I will like to know that these two tests are not exactly specific to any diseases condition. They generally indicate inflammation and the higher the values, the more severe is the inflammation and vice versa. You are at average risk of developing cardiovascular disease if your levels of CRP are between 1.0 and 3.0 mg/L.
Now to answer your question, the ESR (SED rate) is slightly above normal which may mean simply that you have an inflammatory process which is still either developing or is less serious. Since it is unspecific, we can not pinpoint exactly in which location the inflammation is coming from. Same goes for the CRP. This might be the reason why your doctor requested for Sjogrens ABS (might be suspecting this). They are several other diseases or conditions that can cause elevated values and so your doctor will need to keep looking for the cause and also reevaluating the ESR and CRP to see if condition changes.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah