Is Zanocin intake safe and effective for treatment of UTI in an elderly patient?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: ZANOCIN 400 ONE TABLET/DAY HAS BEEN ADMINISTERED FOR CONSECUTIVE 10 DAYS ON A 76 YEARS OLD MALE DIABETIC FOR TREATING URINARY INFECTION. IS IT OVERDOSE AND HARMFUL?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zanocin is ofloxacin

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It was better if you provided his weight.

If we just consider his age, some studies have shown that ofloxacin tends to accumulate in elderly people (for many reasons), thus the dose should be reduced to half that would be given to a younger person of same weight.

Research has also shown that ofloxacin is safe for use in elderly and can be used in the dose range of 400 to 800 mg a day.

Thus I would not be worried. If his weight is lower than IBW (around 70 kg), please let me know.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 12 days later
Patient Details : 76 years old about 85 kg weight male diabetic,hypertensive, with old small several cerebral infarcts,lumber spondylosis & spinal stenosis
Ongoing treatment for urinal infection etc :
1.Amaryl2mg OD 2.Amaryl 1mg OD 3.Gluformin XL 1gm OD 4.Zanocin 200 BD
UrimaxD OD 5.ReciperL BD 6.Asomex5 OD 7.Ecosprin75 OD 8.Storvas20mg OD 9.Citicholine500mg BD Trinergic OD 10.Meropenem 1gm TDS x 5days
Sodium level of the patient cannot be maintained. It gets down frequently causing discomfort and drowsiness to the very weak bed ridden patient. Use of hyper tonic saline (3% sodium chloride NS) raise the sodium level to 132-135 MMOL/L only to bring down the level to 98-105MMOL/L with in 36 hours. Oral supplement with common salt (20gm/day) and conversing drinking water to ORS is in force. Presently His BP 110/60 , creatinine 1.6 Potassium-4.8 What to do to stabilize the sodium level?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
My advice as follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It seems that this patient has chronic hyponatremia. Since he does not seem to have many symptoms. Still his sodium levels need to be maintained.

My advice is as follows:

1. Find the cause of hyponatremia. The treatment of the cause can bring about a lot of difference. Causes can be many. Investigations can be carried out under the supervision of an nephrologist. Amlodipine may be contributing a little to sodium loss.

2. Rapid deterioration and rapid correction are damaging to the brain. The saline infusions should be slow keeping in consideration the volume status of the patient. The infusion should bring the level up by 12 meq/l over a period of 24 - 36 hours. Careful use of hypertonic saline can be life-saving.

The level is to be maintained after bringing it to this level. It can be maintained with supplementing with salt and ORS (appropriate concentrations), fluid restriction. While restricting fluids, we need to target the sodium levels and not the fluid status of the patient.

This needs regular supervision.

3. Correction of the volume. The patient maybe hypovolemic, euvolemic or hypervolemic. The hypo- and the hyper volemic states are to be corrected (while keeping a close look on sodium levels).

Hope it helps.