• question-icon

Is WBC count of 16 a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My white blood count is 16 is that to be concerned I just had five infected teeth removed
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the infection probably caused it

Detailed Answer:

the white blood cell count commonly rises when the patient has an infection. If you also have fever then this is the most likely cause. The predominating type of white blood cells also gives some clues to the cause. Infectious causes typically cause an elevation in polymorphonuclear cell percentage. Normally this is approximately between 50-75%. During the course of infections the polymorphonuclear cells percentage rises.

Other causes are also possible but this is the obvious one. You should check it again after a few days, to make sure it's better after treatment.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis