• question-icon

Is TSH level of 2.49 a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My wife aged 55, was earlier on Thyronorm 50 mcg as her TSH levels were around 7-8 (she also has auto-immune thyroid disorder). She faced tachycardia with pulse rate going up to 100-110. She was then prescribed Tenelol 25 mg, which helped. A few months back, her TSH were recorded as less then 0.01. Her Thyronorm was reduced to 25mcg. Lately she has been complaining of heaviness in chest in the morning (Tenelol is being taken at night). On family doctors advice, she has stopped tenelol 25 mg. Her pulse rate has again shot up to 95-100 (latest TSH level is 2.49). Please advise course of action
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
best course of action is to continue with Tenolol 12.5 and Thyronorm 25mcg

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic,
Since the TSH is now normal, and there is tachycardia, the best course of action is to continue with Tenolol 12.5 and Thyronorm 25 mcg.
Can you tell me what her blood pressure is like?
And has she had an ECG and 2D Echo? If not I would advise it.
Please revert back--regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Geeta Sundar