Is Sensipar advisable for a person with elevated calcium levels?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have had an elevated calcium 11.5(now) for 10 years. Finally got to see the surgeon, he wants to put me on sensipar. I have primary hypeparathyroidsm, and don't like this drug after reading up on it. All test,u/s ,sestamibi are negative. I kind of have a complicated medical history, in good health now. Can't get anyone to return my calls with these questions,maybe should give it more time. Saw him 2/15/17. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In my opinin you should not worry about the risks of Cinacalcet.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for asking.
I have gone through your question and understood your concern.

Primary hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of one or more of the parathyroid glands. The parathyroid glands becomes overactive and secretes excess amounts of parathyroid hormone (PTH).
As a result, the blood calcium rises to a level that is higher than normal (called hypercalcemia) and this can cause many short-term and long-term complications.

In these cases, Blood calcium levels should be measured every six months, and tests of kidney function are recommended once per year.
Also, Bone density testing is usually recommended every one to three years, depending upon your situation.

Sensipar (cinacalcet) decreases levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), calcium, and phosphorous in the body.This drug is also used in people in people with overactive parathyroid glands that cannot be treated surgically or in people who are on long-term dialysis for kidney disease.

Common side effects of Sensipar include:
nausea,
vomiting,
diarrhea,
loss of appetite,
muscle pain,
mild chest pain,
dizziness, or
weakness.

Anyway i want to say that many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.So,Don't worry.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.

The most important think you should know about the risks of Cinacalcet is that it can cause low calcium blood levels.
For this reason ,your doctor will check your calcium blood levels while your are taking this medication and i'm sure that you will nor have no problems during the time you will use Cinacalcet.

Hope i have clarified your doubts.If you have other questions,feel free and ask.I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad