Is Risperdal safe and effective for treatment of Alzheimer's disease?

Cardiologist
Question
My mother has early to moderate Alzheimer's. Doc prescribed rispardal to help with her sleep which has not improved I read is not FDA approved n terrible for elderly n dementia patients is it true??? She also has abfib and is taking a sum of about 7-8 pills a day .. Could I stop her rispardal? Coughing at night only.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discuss with her doctor to stop risperidal...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I have gone through the medical history of your mother and understood your concerns.

Risperdal should be used in caution as it might cause severe side effects (including cardio-vascular events or stroke). It can be used in severe cases of various psychological problems, but as the last line of treatment.

If I was her caring doctor would advise other drugs to improve her sleeping and to start using low dose of single medications (not multiple therapy).

Antidepressants might be: citalopram, fluoxetine, etc.; while anxiolytics include lorazepam or oxazepam. You can discuss with her doctor about this treatment strategy.

With regards to her coughing at night, it might be a sign of heartburn/GERD, most probably due to drugs she is taking. I advise to:
- let her eat often and small portions
- raise her head from shoulders to prevent coughing
- avoid giving her spicy, chilly, oily or other foods that can trigger heartburn
- let her have light meals at dinner.
- if the coughing will persist, can take an anti-hystaminic drug and antacid.

Wish fast recovery to your mother! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Is Risperdal safe and effective for treatment of Alzheimer's disease? 14 hours later
How can I tapered her down from Risperdal before we go to the doc? It is only 1mg

Her feet are always swollen. We recently traveled bu it has been a couple of weeks already.. Could it be a side effect of ex forge or other other drug ??

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's dangerous to tamper Rispardal on your own...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I do not recommend to start tampering her down from Risperdal as it is done under strict medical supervision to avoid severe side effects.

With regards to having swollen feet all the time, yes, you are right. It is one of side effects of Amlodipine (one of the medications inside Exforge she is taking). You can discuss with her cardiologist about this side effect in order to change drug.

All the best!
Dr.Benard