Is Renolen eye drop good for cataract?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Renolen eye drops good for cataract?is it proven and effective?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Renolen is not proven or effective for cataract.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

Renolen eye drops contains potassium iodide as main constituent and it is not proven to prevent or arrest the progression of cataract.
It is used in post operative cases after cataract surgery if cataractous lens material is present or left behind. It is known to dissolve the lens material and thus can prevent posterior capsular opacification occurring after cataract surgery.

But Renolen eye drops is not to known or effective in preventing or treating cataract. As of now there is no proven medical treatment for cataract and only proven and effective treatment for cataract is cataract surgery.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Thanks.MY DOCTOR IS OF THE OPINION THAT I HAVE CATARACT
IN BOTH THE EYES TO ABOUT 30 TO 35 PERCENT.CAN I WAIT FORVANOTHER 6 MONTHS TO HAVE THE SURGERY.I CAN HOPEFULLY HAVE IT BY XXXXXXX 2015.
DO YOU FORESEE ANY RISK OF MY LOSING EYESIGHT.? OR WILL
THE LENS BECOME TOTA LLY OPAQUE BY THAT TIME.?

Doctor,
can I have new glasses in the meanwhile until I undergo surgery?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for 6 months and use glasses now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for follow up.

Cataract is slowly progressive disorder hence you can wait for 5-6 months.
Since you are having only 35% of cataract you can wait safely and no problem will occur. Cataract may take more than one year for total opacifaction. Hence no need to worry but get eye examination done once after 3 months to know the amount of progression.

In the mean time you can use spectacles after refraction and correction.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 16 hours later
Thanks for your timely and substantive reply.i will follow your advice.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for writing to us on Health care magic.

With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj