Is Pulmoclear syrup and Crocin safe and effective for treatment of pneumonitis?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son is 3.5 years old, had a viral fever 2weeks ago. Recovered in 4 days with medication.The last 3 days he has fever, would be normal after administering crocin syrup. We got all the tests done prescribed by our doctor, everything is normal. His chest X Ray results were " patchy pneumonitis left lower zone posterior basal segment".

Our doctor recommended the following medication pulmoclear syrup twice a day and crocin every 6 hours for the fever. He coughs every 5 minutes but there is no sputum. He has a running nose. Our doctor has not prescribed any antibiotics. Is the treatment fine for him, just a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is correct.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
I think your doctor has prescribed correct medication for your child. Most of the cases of pneumonitis in children are caused by viruses. There is no role of antibiotic treatment, because not only they are ineffective against viruses, they would also put the child at risk for development of antibiotic resistance and side effects of the particular antibiotic, and also prolong the course of illness by modifying immune response.
Patchy pneumonitis and dry cough also preclude a viral etiology.
So, only symptomatic treatments are given.
In case there is more severe symptoms, with more sputum production, empirical antibiotic treatment is started based on the clinician's evaluation.
However, in addition to the pharmacologic treatment, good oral hydration and adequate nutritional support are of utmost importance.
In case the child develops chest indrawing or becomes lethargic or refuses feeding, hospitalization will be necessary. So, please be sure that you don't overlook the warning signs at any point of time.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T