question-icon

Is Pepto-bismol advisable when diagnosed with lactose intolerence?

Posted on Wed, 26 Aug 2015
Question: My niece has diarrhea and she is lactose tolerant. She came from Hungary on Sunday. She is 41 years old.
She has medicine for the lactose and she is very careful what she eats. Can she take pepto-bismol?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, Pepto-bismol may help is some people

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your question to HCM,

Yes, she can take Pepto-bismol, it may help.

Thought, the medicine for the lactose is the most important and taking plenty of fluids to substitute the fluids that she is losing.
Its good that she is careful with what she eats. Most probably she will get into normal bowel movement very soon, as soon as the lactose food gets our of her bowel.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarification. Otherwise please close and rate the question.

Take care,
Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako