Is Nicotine intake advisable while suffering from enlarged heart?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Wondering if using snus pouches of tobacco is a bad idea if I just found out I have an alcohol and or carbon monoxide endused enlarged heart. I stopped drinking and smoking at once on Monday after 30 years of hard drinking and smoking and I grabbed a tin of this snus pouches Monday morning. So I'm curious if the symptoms of the enlarged heart which started 2 weeks ago and continue non stop will be less likely to improve if I'm still getting nicotine. Thanks from XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is bad for heart

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome
Its Dr Sameer, cardiologist
For any enlarged heart due to any cause, nicotine in any form is harmful. It causes increased heart & further damage to the heart due to lots of reasons.
Further it can also cause cancer. So I'll definitely never recommend it. Try to quit nicotine. As an alternative, you can use nicotine tablets in meanwhile. Rest continue taking your medicines for enlarged heart.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 3 hours later
Not on any medication yet because I'm waiting to get approved for life insurance first and haven't taken any of the tests yet for same reason, I saw the doctor only once and didn't ask any questions so how long can I go without the proper meds
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start treatment soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome back.
The exact severity of disease could only be determined after detailed clinical evaluation & reports of tests. So if you are not very symptomatic, than you can go well for few days. In the meanwhile, stop nicotine & alcohol. Strict your fluid intake to 1.5 ltr/ day.
So I'll advice you to process your insurance soon & start the medicines.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng