Is Lupituss syrup safe to take for dry cough?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife had loose motions/vomiting around 10days back and was admitted in hospital for glucose for 5-6 hours only thereafter she is having dry cough continuously and it gets more while lying down and sleep. So we had given her Grinlintus cough syrup along with Montec-LC tablet for 2 days initially but sough was subside not at very good rate and again started and now she is taking LUPITUSS cough syrup 3 times daily with hot water since yesterday. We would like to the know the reason for that along with the correct line of treatment as dry cough is there while talking and lying down on bed,

Could you please let us know whether to continue with LUPITUSS or not and what all precautions she must take. She is having 9 days fast as well currently.
Is it due to seasonal change or after stomach upset/severe food infection for which she had admitted to hospital for glucose & metrogil injection for 1 day.
Please reply with details and asap.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be Bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
It seems that she has developed post viral / allergic bronchitis. Usually it takes time for bronchitis to get settled.
In such case scenario, i advice following to my patients:
1. To get a Chest X-ray done to be sure of other causes like Tuberculosis, Pneumonia.

2. To take an anti allergic like Montec LC as she was taking for at least 7 days.

3. To continue Lupituss syrup.

4. To take Benzonanate pearls three times a day.

5. To take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domoeridone as a lot many times acid reflux can itself cause dry cough.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 28 minutes later
Can medicines like Zifi-AZ and Grinlinctus BM be given instead of Montec LC and Lupituss. Any reason for having cough more while sleeping/talking?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No use of antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi, see Zifi AZ is an antibiotic and has no role in allergic cough. Syrup like Grinlinctus BM are used for cough associated with wheezing.
Cough more during sleeping or talking mostly occurs due to allergy or acid reflux. When you sleep, you respiratory centers get depressed and so for effective clearing of mucous, you lungs work more causing more cough.
During talking, there is increase in irritation of lung causing more cough.
I hope it helps you.
Wish your wife a very speedy recovery.