Is HIV infection transmitted through kissing?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Respected doctors , 10 days back I was exposed to HIV.My gf is HIV + .She kissed me and bit my lip .i was bleeding .She says even she was bleeding.what are my chances of getting HIV ?
on 3rd day I had sore throat(difficulty in swallowing/felt something was obstructing) and tongue blisters.On 6th day I had cold.(No fever) runny nose was present. On 10th day I got mouth ulcer and muscle rigidness in both legs . Can it be symptoms of acute HIV ? Can one get symptoms on 3rd day onwards ?

Thanking you with best regards
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to get tested for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

As such kissing is no risk activity for HIV but if she had bitten your lips and she was also HIV positive then it is better to get tested after 15 days with HIV RNA PCR or 4th generation HIV Duo test to be sure about your status as the risk is definitely there.

Sore throat, mouth ulcers or running nose might be due to throat infection but not related to early ARS as ARS symptoms will take atleast 15 days after its exposure to develop so just calm down and go for HIV test. For any query get back to me again.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 45 minutes later
Sir ,thank you for replying . Can I go for HIV PCR RNA test on 15th day ? Will it be accurate ? What if I have some other virus in my body ?
I am having muscle rigidness on both the legs ,is this ARS? This is 10th day
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will be highly accurate.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

You can definitely go for HIV RNA PCR after 15 day and it is more then 90% reliable after 2weeks so be relaxed and go for HIV test with hope for the best. Don't think about other virus as the possibility of having such thing is very unlikely apart from HIV.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng