Is Gamma Aminobutyric Acid safe for liver?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is gamma aminobutyric acid safe? I have wicked insomnia I have use all of the medically suggested methods. I do have liver damage
enzymes are now within normal limits on the high side. I would like to know if gaba is safe for me to take. recieved a sample and it worked. I worry about side effects. Have run out of informative resourses.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No GABA seek help

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Your liver functions are already at upper limits of normal.if you used GABA it will worsen and increase its levels. So I would say do not use it.seek a sleep disorder specialist and let them help your insomnia.
Here are some basic guidelines for insomnia management which will help you if you follow them.

Following general principles help the sleep trouble reduce

Develop regular sleep habits; this means keeping a regular sleep and wake time, sleeping as much as needed to feel refreshed the following day, but not spending more time in bed than neededAvoid staying in bed in the morning to catch up on sleepAvoid daytime naps; if a nap is necessary, keep it short (less than 1 hour) and avoid napping after 3 pmKeep a regular daytime schedule; regular times for meals, medications, chores, and other activities helps keep the inner body clock running smoothlyDo not read, write, eat, watch TV, talk on the phone, or play cards in bedAvoid caffeine after lunch; avoid alcohol within 6 hours of bedtime; avoid nicotine before bedtimeDo not go to bed hungry, but do not eat a big meal near bedtime eitherAvoid sleeping pills, particularly over-the-counter remediesSlow down and unwind before bed (beginning at least 30 minutes before bedtime (a light snack may be helpful); create a bedtime ritual such as getting ready for bed, wearing night clothes, listening to relaxing music, or reading a magazine, newspaper, or bookAvoid watching TV in the bedroom or sleeping on the sofa and then going to bed later in the nightAvoid stimulating activities prior to bedtime (eg, vigorous exercise, discussing or reviewing finances, or discussing stressful issues with a spouse or partner or ruminating about them with oneself)Keep the bedroom dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperatureExercise daily; this is best performed in the late afternoon or early evening (but not later than 6-7 pm)Do not force yourself to sleep; if you are unable to fall asleep within 15-30 minutes, get up and do something relaxing until sleepy (eg, read a book in a dimly lit room, watch a non-stimulating TV program); avoid watching the clock or worrying about the perceived consequences of not getting enough sleepCognitive behavioural therapies help the issue too.it includes Sleep hygiene educationCognitive therapyRelaxation therapyStimulus-control therapySleep-restriction therapyTry Acupressure too, it works like charm on insomnia issues.Avoid caffeinated beverages in the late afternoon or evening, since the stimulant activity of adenosine antagonism can promote hyperarousalAvoid alcohol in the evening, since this can worsen sleep-disordered breathing leading to frequent arousals; furthermore, while alcohol promotes sleep early in the night, it leads to more sleep disruption later in the eveningAvoid large meals near bedtime, particularly with gastroesophageal reflux disease or delayed gastric emptying.

Exercise in the late afternoon or early evening (at least 6 hours before bedtime) can promote sleep. However, vigorous physical activity in the late evening (< 6 hours before bedtime) can worsen insomnia.
I hope it helps. Seek a sleep disorder specialist for further management.
Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
THANK YOU for the speedy reply. I no longer drink at all. I have tried sleep Drs and staid up all night. sleep apnea was undiagnosable. I was once was prescribed Lunesta- I will never take one of those drugs. I just keep trying to wake earlier and I walk about one and a half hours (have not measured how far) I will try exercise in the afternoon.Thank you again no further reply needed, until I try a new routine.
Brief Answer:
:)

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
I will be here if you need me.
Please close the discussion.
Take care and good luck.
Regards XXXXXXX