• question-icon

Is Feveril safe to be given with Meftal for fever in children?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi Sir, My Son is 3-years-old, i am giving him meftal every 5 hours, since he is having fever of 101 degrees along with meftal I am giving feveril syrup, and frisium tablet. Is it okay sir to give when he is having fever, am giving frisium tablet because he had seizures twice with 102 degrees. Please give me suggestions on this.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The temperature needs to be kept in control anyhow

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

It is likely that your child has a viral infection. Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) is more effective than feveril (paracetamol) and if the former does not suffice you will have to give the latter. Also give tepid sponging. It is very important to not let the temperature go higher, else seizures may be precipitated. You are doing the right thing by giving frisium (clobazam).

You need to be patient. The fever should subside in 5-7 days. Till then you need to continue like this.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
can i give only meftal sir for every 5 hours. When I can give frisium sir, like how much degrees of fever.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It is not necessary to give feveril if meftal-p suffices. Give meftal-p if temperature is greater than 100°F. Give frisium twice a day, in the morning and evening.

along with that i am giving cefodeme 100 mg half-tablet thrice a day. is it okay sir.
Sir, my son got seizure twice when his fever XXXXXXX to 104 degrees, are seizures are common in 104 degrees of fever or any problem to my son. is any treatment required for him for seizures sir. Please suggest me on this
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Desperate control of temperature is essential.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back. You should give desperate and continuous tepid sponging and not let temperatures rise that high. Since you have begun antibiotics, you should complete the course but it should be given twice a day, not thrice. In case of seizures, Midacip Spray (midazolam spray) should be given in each nostril to stop the ongoing seizure.

If seizures occur repeatedly, I think that it would be a better idea to hospitalize your child.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician