Is FBS level of 299 a cause for concern?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: My fasting sugar level was 299 two weeks ago. Since then I have cleaned up my act food wise (I eat like a 12 year old) and I tested at 136 this morning. Seems better eating has me headed in the right direction. Can I realistically get and keep this under control without meds...already take enough of those for cholesterol and BP!
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you can keep your diabetes under control withought meds.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for asking.
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concer.

Many people can keep their blood glucose in a healthy range without medications (either oral diabetes medications or insulin injections) if they lose weight and keep their weight down, are regularly physically active, and follow a meal plan that helps them keep portion sizes under control and helps them spread the amount of carbohydrate they eat at each meal throughout the day.

So,my answer is :Yes,you can get and keep yoyur diabetes under control with a healthy-eating plan and regularly physical activities.

A diabetes diet simply means eating the healthiest foods in moderate amounts and sticking to regular mealtimes.
It is a healthy-eating plan that's naturally rich in nutrients and low in fat and calories. Key elements are fruits, vegetables and whole grains. In fact, a diabetes diet is the best eating plan for most everyone.

Below are some examples of aerobic activities that can help you to successfully manage Diabetes‎:(if physical activities are not contraindicated for you)
-Brisk walking (outside or inside on a treadmill)
-Bicycling/Stationary cycling indoors.
-Dancing.
-Low-impact aerobics.
--Swimming or water aerobics.
-Playing tennis.
-Stair climbing.
-Jogging/Running.

If you have a healthy lifestyle,i think that you can reach a good controll of your diabetes withought drugs.Let me know your blood glucose results with the lifestyle changes that we discussed earlier.I'm sure you will have good results.

Hope i have clarified your doubts.If you have other question,feel free and ask.I wil be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj