• question-icon

Is Ciprofloxacin effective in UTI?

Posted on Wed, 5 Nov 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have uti and was prescribed ciprofloxacin i had gastric by-pass surgery over 5 yrs. This is my 3rd day taking this medication twice aday and uti not getting better lots of blood in urine what do i do?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You should have urine analysis done once again and urine culture. Please note that the bacteria which are causing your infection may be resistant to ciprofloxacine and another antibiotic might be necessary. Which one, urine culture should tell.
There is also a possibility that the blood in the urine is not caused by an infection. In some cases such symptom can indicate some urine bladder lumps. That is why if the urine culture will be negative, you should have abdominal ultrasound and consult urologist for cystoscopy.
In a meanwhile please increase mineral water intake and start cranberries supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon