Is BPAD and psychosis a genetic disorder?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi doctor ,
My wife is suffering fromBPAD and psychosis , whose age is 24 and is sufffering from Bipolar Defective disorder sine 2008 , i want to know what all problems could be faced by this kind of a patient , wether this is for the entire life or can be cured , what all problems will be faced by me in my married life and is this genetic and can it be transmitted to the child as well
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     24 year old female
•     Known case of BPAD/Psychosis
•     Currently on Lonzep, Oxetol and Folvite

Psychosis is a broad term. BPAD is a subtype of psychosis. In BPAD (Bipolar Affective Disorder) patient has depressive and manic episode in their life.

It is a long term illness (like diabetes or hypertension) and require treatment for long term. Duration of treatment differ patient to patient and depend on severity/frequency of depression/manic episodes. Patient who are on regular treatment can live married life normally like others.

BPAD has genetic component. If one parent has BPAD then there is 10% chances of being transmitted in child. But it become apparent between 15 and 30 years in most of the cases. So, do not worry about children, as very good treatment will be available in coming 10 years.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari